Some nice announcements about Skype for Business vNext today.
New release of “Skype for Business Server 2019” will available by the end of 2018.
• Windows Server 2016
• SQL Server 2016
Only enterprise edition will be available.
You can run 1, 3,4… up to 16 front end servers.
(2 front end servers not).
The directors, persistent chat role and the standard edition will be dropped. SBA/SBS don’t change.
New features in Skype for Business Server 2019
• Call queues
• Voicemail Service
• Server 2013 -> Server 2019
• Server 2013 -> Server 2019
No in place upgrade available.
TLS 1.0 and 1.1 will be disabled by CU7 and Skype for Business Server 2019
• Q3 Microsoft Teams reports
• Q4 new Skype for Business and Teams admin page in O365
For the Q&A please take a look at the website from Mattias Kressmark
So what’s the most interesting news on Ignite 2017 for today (so far), will update this blog!
- Skype Operations Framework moves into Practical Guidance for Cloud Voice on Fasttrack
- MyAdvisor will help you with setting up Voice (link)
- Skype for Business Server will be updated second half of calendar year 2018
- Microsoft Teams client will take over Skype for Business Online client
- Cloud PBX renamed to Phone System
- PSTN Conferecing renamed to Audio Conferencing
Microsoft is also introducing new enhancements to Teams meetings, including audio conferencing (available in preview today)—enabling participants to join a Teams meeting by dialing a telephone number—and interoperability between Teams and Skype for Business, including universal presence, and messaging and calling interoperability.
In the Skype for Business Online Powershell some commands showed up today for interoperability and Calling in Teams:
For my home lab I’m using the free certificates from Let’s Encrypt (Let’s Encrypt is a free, automated, and open Certificate Authority).
The certificates from them have 1 big limitation, they are only valid for 3 months but you can renew them “almost” automatically.
As explained In my blog last week about “Skype for Business environment running with just one public IP” I’m running my Reverse Proxy with IIS ARR (Application Request Routing). I’ll try to explain how to request and assign the free certificates for your homelab.
Polycom has released version 5.6.0 for their range of VVX handsets, which includes the following enhancements for Skype for Business:
- Support for Dial Plan Normalization,
- Multiple Emergency Number Dial Plan
- Skype for Business User interface enhancements
- Skype for Business Conference Enhancements
- Device Lock Enhancements
- Profile Picture on Device Lock Screen
- Secure Single Sign-On With Third-Party Supporting Solutions
- Safe Transfer for Boss-Admin Enhancements
- Busy Options for Incoming Calls.
The release applies to the following phones and accessories:
- VVX 201
- VVX 300/301/310/311
- VVX 400/401/410/411
- VVX 500/501
- VVX 600/601
For the full list of updates, read the release notes.
How to install new firmware in Skype for Business
Skype for Business Server 2015, Debugging Tools is a collection of additional tools for use by IT Admins to aid in troubleshooting Skype for Business Server 2015 deployments. The collection of tools include:
Download from here