Syncing problems with Office 365 SharePoint sites – sometimes they’re easy to resolve and sometimes they are very difficult, tedious and nearly impossible to resolve (unless you are very well acquainted with SharePoint-speak and have some pretty deep networking/IT/Microsoft knowledge). This is the story of how I resolved a tough (for me), syncing issue with O365 SharePoint sites.
The problem: client said some of their SharePoint sites would not finish syncing. They noticed their blue icons had the syncing notification going constantly and it would never finish. They tried using the repair OneDrive function. One user reported their SharePoint site names were changed to a generic (Site1…., Site2……) and so on. The other user did not get that, but it didn’t fix the problem either.
After trying the Microsoft steps, i tryd the following:
Step 1 – clicking the link takes you to pages where there are all types of things to check. If you use Office Click to Run, if you have Office installed, or if you have the OneDrive for Business installer there are different things to check on. This was a tedious process.
Step 2 – Since these users had been syncing their sites previously and other users in the office weren’t having problems, I knew this was not the issue here.
Step 3 – Same as above.
Step 4 – The users had both tried the Repair option with no success.
Step 5 – this is what I did with these users. Here are the steps for doing this:
1) We stopped syncing the libraries.
2) We right clicked on the OneDrive for business folder and renamed it as OneDrive for business_backup.
3) Then we opened Windows Explorer and went to C:Users<username>AppDataLocalMicrosoftOffice and deleted the Spw folder.
4) Then we went to 15.0 and deleted the OfficeFileCache folder (after opening task manager and ending “Groove.exe” and “MSOSync.exe” processes).
5) Following this, we restarted the computer and confirmed that no libraries were currently in sync.
6) Then we opened OneDrive for business library in Internet Explorer and clicked on Sync > Sync Now.
7) The sync started successfully on this computer without giving any sync errors.