After testing for some months with the public preview of the new Microsoft Teams client it’s finally announced (march 27, 2023) for public preview (FYI, at least for Windows only right now).
So, what’s new? The most obvious is a redesign, but there’s a lot more going on underneath the hood. Teams has been rebuilt using different coding languages that have made the app much more efficient. Microsoft says that the new Teams app is loading 2X faster, enables you to join meetings 2X faster and is using 50% less memory.
These are some of their findings on new Teams speed and performance improvements.
- Install app up to 3X faster
- Launch app up to 2X faster
- Join meetings up to 2X faster
- Switch chats/channels up to 1.7X faster
- Consume up to 50% less memory
- Consume up to 70% less disk space
Going beyond the core technology upgrade Microsoft also invested heavily on performance, stability, ease-of-use, and greater flexibility. Below a summup of these investments:
- Rearchitected video rendering pipeline
- Large scale meetings
- Multi-Account / Multi-Tenant
- Streamline App Installation (MSIX)
- Harden Security
- Get what you need (Partial Data)
- Moving from Polling to push notifications
- Optimize Memory
- Expand Performance infrastructure and tooling
- Embrace Open Source